Wednesday 31 December 2014

10 Things To Let Go Of Before The New Year


 And finally…..The year is ending in few hours and the new year comes with this urge to clean out and get organized. Not just with habits, emotions, dreams or relationships, letting go of things around the house for a fresh clean start should be top on your mind. I know a lot of us attach sentimental values to stuffs and will not want to ever deal with the guilt feeling of throwing those items away rather you hang unto the fact that someday you will find a use for them but the painful truth is ‘someday' will never come! Whether you decide to put them away in another place, to another owner, donate, sell or throw it away, today is the time to declutter for a bigger and cleaner home!

1. Leftover Foodstuffs like spices, sauces, oils, jellies, salads, etc that clutter your drawer and fridge and may not get to be opened or used, please get them tossed before they are past their expiry date

2. Kitchen Wares and Appliances that have not been used for years and which you never got to use them during this past holiday. Now is the time to let them go.....

3. Worn-out Christmas Ornaments/Decorations Growing up, we had a drawer filled with Christmas decorations and for years i never saw those ornaments discarded (*covers face*) So open up your drawer for newer and more beautiful Christmas decorations for the coming year.

4. Clothes, Jewelries and Shoes Enter that closet of yours and be a brutal critic! Ask yourself if you still love those piled up items, if you still want to wear them out and if the answer is NO, quickly whisk them off to a deserving recipient(s) then, take out time and re-organize your closet.

5. Cosmetics like used up nail polish, tired makeup brushes, empty toiletry bottles, empty paper towels rolls, etc, they all need to be trashed!

6. Magazines and Newspapers that have not been read in years. You can put them to good use by creating a scrapbook with your favorite pages or think about taking them to nursing homes or hospitals. Never forget that, there are online versions of magazines and newspapers these days.....

7. Old Sheets and Towels. The new year is for a fresh new start, this is the time to replace those old sheets, lines and towels. Alternatively, they can be washed and used as dusters/rags. 

8. Electronics you no longer use like games, cameras, outdated VHS that have not used since the advent of DVD, etc can be donated or trashed. You can opt for box office decoders such as DSTV explorers and buy movies online.

9. Picture frames which are no longer a perfect fit for your space. Pull them down or hang it elsewhere in the house that is not a prominent wall or discard completely. You can also choose to re-frame!

10.  Old Sofa and Furniture can be discarded for a new set, donated or put to good use. For example, you can improve the look of your sofa by wrapping it up with a more colorful fabric. An old set of furniture can be converted to a complete new use either as a storage or tool. 

So tell me, what are you letting go of before the new year?

Photo credit: Google

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hehehe....I was smiling while reading this especially the nail polish part...Uhm mami...**covers face** I have over a dozen nail polish since 2012...lool...mami, I am not throwing those out mehnnn...I just love looking at them...hehe

Happy New Year in advance mamacita!

naijabanker said...

Thanks for the dining set you made, lovely. more jobs coming 2015....love u loads

Nkem Offonabo said...

Ernie! 2012 for real? I'm sure they're all congealed

Nkem Offonabo said...

@Naijabanker, I'm glad u loved our work! Thanks for your patronage n see u in 2015

Lohla's Melange said...

Old spices, oil, sauces... I can totally relate to mehn. I personally do not like cluttet so I De clutter a lot especially my wardrobe.

Unknown said...

I declutter a lot as well. I just can't stand junk in my space.

Nkem Offonabo said...

Chinazor, can I tell u a secret? I always like to see even if it's a peek of your house. It looks so neat I must tell u *covers face*

Nkem Offonabo said...

Hey Lohla! Thanks for the visit. For me, I always give out stuffs I don't use/wear regularly. That way, I don't have piled up wardrobe

Post a Comment

My posts aren't complete without your comments, I read and I love 'em.....Be sure to get a response from me