Thursday 27 August 2015

5 Ways to Make Your Small Space LIVABLE

Are you living in or moving into a small space? Frankly, living in a small space can pose a challenge, but with a few new ideas and a creative spirit, you can maximize and uplift even the smallest living quarters. 
Who defined small by the way? It all boils down to how efficient and functional you make your home feel. I've lived in some small spaces I had to teach myself what really works. My last apartment as a single lady was the smallest ever (i lived there for good 4years) but it worked perfectly for me.

Here are 5 simple ways to help you live in your small apartment without messing with your renter's limitations:

  • Paint: Whoever told you that an "all-white color" palette will make an apartment look larger. He lied! This is a common misconception of small space design and i will put simply "there are no color rules for small spaces" Do your thing, if you want your room to feel light and airy (try a cool color) or warm and cozy (veer toward richer and warmer) or maybe you're craving a little drama (go over board with bold) but make sure it's personal and appeals to you.

Read more... Tips for Picking Paint Colors

Source

  • Small Scale Furniture: Large bulky furniture limits movement in a small apartment and who says you must use a sofa? Think lean, slim and petite upholstered items like a small settee, love seat and compliment with ottoman or poufs which can also double as chairs. Chairs with exposed legs also gives the impression of space and allows for the airiest look.

Read more....Furniture Arrangement Ideas and More for Small Living Rooms

Source
 
  • Mirror Mirror: A large mirror placed in the right direction (preferably across a window) helps create an illusion of space in your small apartment and when hanging the mirror be mindful of what it will reflect (Mirrors are your friend as long as you like what is staring back at you! LOL). In the picture below, not only can you see the wall frames, armchair and stationary storage, the window reflection gives an impression of an extra window in the apartment. Ok, let's finish it "Mirror Mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all? 

Read more... 5 Smart Ways to use Mirror in Small Spaces

Source

  • Organization and Storage: The key to living in a small space is to declutter with creative storage and organization solution. Only keep or buy what you actually use or need and give everything an assigned spot in your home. It's so much easier living in a small space when you know where things are and when items are out of sight and much much easier to clean when you live with less! Try out some furniture with built-ins for perfect storage solutions (using a credenza as against a console table to tuck in a whole lot of items and boost storage options or beds with built-in drawers underneath to store your linen and bedding's) Who is loving this room below like i do? This is definitely an inspiration for the next room i am decorating in my home.

Read more...Storage & Organization for a Small House

Source

  • Lighten Up: The effect of lighting in a small space cannot be overemphasized. Whether it is natural light or decorative fixtures, it does make a room look brighter and enhances that cozy effect you need when you want to snuggle (picture that!). Decorative and accent colors in the home can also lighten up your small space. Bright colored pillows, flooring, window blinds or curtains and decorative pieces can do the magic

Read more... 11 Home Staging Tips for Stretching Small Spaces with lights
Source


What other ways can you make your small space livable?

21 comments:

Lola said...

Please make that two rooms you'll decorate just like that room you are lovin'...plus me :)
One other thing that works for small spaces is to keep things off the floor as much as possible. Hang everything hang-able on the wall. Let your cabinet be floating as well.

These pictures are making me fantasize o!

Nkem Offonabo said...

Oh yes! Oyinlola. It's just an inspiration, might not be an exact replica of the room.
Yea, i agree with you on keeping things off the floor, as much as possible, go vertical in your small space
Thanks for your tips

Trendy Mother said...

Nkem, stop creating too many pictures in my head, come and transform my small space!

Unknown said...

Proper Shelving, good storage and organisation is it for me. The simplicity to garnish my space all the way. Don't know how to breakdown what I really mean, but I know you get it somehow.

Thanks for the tips.

I am still loving the transformation on your blog.

Nwamaka Onyekachi said...

Interesting post! I know about mirror mirror. Didn't know about paint until now. Thanks, Nkem. :)

Nkem Offonabo said...

Trendymother, let's deal then!

Nkem Offonabo said...

Ugo, I perfectly get what you mean. Proper storage and organisation does it for me. When stuffs are tucked away and only the things needed to be out is off the shelves

Nkem Offonabo said...

Yea Amaka now you know! Thanks for reading through...

Lux G. said...

I love these designs. They look comfy and stylish for even a small space. I have a small place so this is great idea.

Nkem Offonabo said...

I am glad you loved the designs and have got some inspiration for your small space. Thanks Lux

Lohla's Melange said...

Yes chairs with exposed legs does give the illusion of space. I've always loved chairs with exposed legs cos I love me some space. Nice tips Nkem.

Nkem Offonabo said...

Thanks Lohla

Unknown said...

Wait oooo! i thought that white paint makes a room look bigger. You mean it doesn't? Wow!

Nkem Offonabo said...

Yes Chinazor, it's just a misconception. Thanks for stopping by, i appreciate

Unknown said...

Thanks for these lovely tips
Nma's Blog 

Nkem Offonabo said...

Thanks Nma, That name "Ojike" comes close home

Adaezenwa said...

I love this post, I don't have a single interior decor cell in my body so I really admire you and all other people who can transform an empty room into something amazing.

Anonymous said...

Serious arrangement.i have no idea,I just arrange as the spirit leads. Lolz

Bolateethole.blogspot.com

Nkem Offonabo said...

Thanks Adaeze, that's the same way I admire your writing skills

Nkem Offonabo said...

Hahaha@Bola. The spirit is an orderly one, so it will lead you right

001 said...

I love mirrors.
I just got an idea for a book stand I've been wanting to do ( the yellow one in one of the pics)
Thanks for sharing this.

Post a Comment

My posts aren't complete without your comments, I read and I love 'em.....Be sure to get a response from me