Tuesday 7 April 2015

Will You Still Use Carpets After Reading This?


Granted carpets have their unique look and feel… they are soft and comfy, bringing a warm look to a room. It’s important however to understand the demerits of carpet. Did you know that carpets are harbourers of allergens and trappers of toxins like pesticides that get tracked in from outside. Most synthetic carpets also contain VOCs.

Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) refer to organic chemical compounds which have significant vapor pressures and which can affect the environment and human health. VOCs are numerous, varied, and ubiquitous. Most scents or odours are of VOCs. Some are dangerous to human health or cause harm to the environment. Harmful VOCs are typically not acutely toxic, but instead have compounding long-term health effects. They can be man-made or natural.

Some experts recommend that wall-to-wall carpeting should be ripped out in favor of hard flooring like hard wood, cork, tiles or even terrazzo.

If you can’t afford to replace your carpeting, you can spray on a carpet sealer, one that does not contain dangerous chemicals to seal in off-gassing toxins that are a particular problem with newer carpets. Vacuum weekly with a high-performance cleaner to pick up allergens.

Not to do away completely with the soft fluffy look of carpets however, you may want to consider area rugs, which if well matched to existing design, can be great at defining and sprucing up a space.

So tell me, will you still use carpets after reading this?

Post and Photo credit: http://okiriko.com/rethinking-your-fabulous-wall-to-wall-carpeting

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Na wa O. I am speechless. Thank God houses dis dayz have tiles

Nkem Offonabo said...

Hehehe, i for one never liked carpets. It is not good for my health

Grace Liang said...

Lol! Definitely not! My husband is a big fun a hard wood floor so we only have a little tiny area with carpets. We are thinking to replace it with wood too.

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and I can't believe today is my 4 month anniversary! ;) I love blogging! ;) I hope to see you in the fashion world too! ;)

Grace
http://colorandgrace.com/

Nkem Offonabo said...

Hey Grace, thanks too reciprocating the gesture but don't be a stranger. hehehehe
You are doing great with the fashion blogsphere so I'll leave that to you

Unknown said...

Uhhhhhh...thank goodness I am not a carpet fan. I got me some floor mats in the bathroom buh I think that is all we got in my house. How is mi mamacita doing?

Nkem Offonabo said...

Bathroom mat is cool as long as it's washed and air-dried frequently

Mami, i am doing great and have missed you here

Anonymous said...

I've never been a fan of wall-to-wall carpeting. I have an area rug in my room and that's all. I prefer tiles or terrazzo.

Thank you for your warm comment on my blog, I appreciate it.

Nkem Offonabo said...

Thanks Inez for reciprocating the gesture. I agree with you, area rugs are one of the easiest ways to change the entire look and feel of the room.

Lux G. said...

I think carpets are too high maintenance for a house.
Thanks for the info. I never would have known.

Nkem Offonabo said...

You are most welcome Lux

Lohla's Melange said...

First off I love the new look of your blog.

Used to love wall to wall carpeting, remember when it was in vogue? But maintaining it is something else. I prefer tiles or wood floors now, very classy and easy to clean.

Nkem Offonabo said...

Yea Lohla, it used to be in vogue but even then I do admire my friend's terrazo flooring. Bugged my mum until we changed ours to tiles just recently. Tiles are classy meehhn!

Adaezenwa said...

I used to be a fan of rugs but tiles are much easier to clean and its easier to manage spills on tiles or terrazo rather than rugs.

Nkem Offonabo said...

True that! Very much easier to clean out and manage spills on tiles. Have you noticed the ooze from a damp carpet/rug? Damn it!

Unknown said...

Wow! I didn't know this....thank heavens there are no rugs in my house. That damp ooze is so eeeeew!

Nkem Offonabo said...

Nazor, as in ehhh! Thank goodness to tiles

Unknown said...

Carpet is not really my thing because i know germs and termite have a way of hiding in them. Nice post dearie.

Nkem Offonabo said...

Lily, Yea they do. Pls send your office addy to me asap

Unknown said...

hello Nkem! it's very interesting to know what one can really get out of the use of this rugs in our various homes,
Brave Heart Blog

Nkem Offonabo said...

Hey Ibe, I'm glad you found the info useful. Thanks for stopping by, don't be a stranger. Cheers

Alabekee said...

I never liked carpets for anything; thanks for sharing.
www.alabekee.blogspot.com

Nkem Offonabo said...

Dear Bekee, Welcome to my blog. Hehehe

Anonymous said...

No wonder the harsh smell.i don't do carpet, can't remember using it sef.

Post a Comment

My posts aren't complete without your comments, I read and I love 'em.....Be sure to get a response from me